Streets with too much motorised traffic affect kids more than most:
- Air pollution stunts growing lungs
- Streets that are unsafe for walking or cycling stop kids from getting enough exercise or travelling independently
- Cars spell danger at the school gates.
But there are answers…
- ‘School streets’ are emerging all over London where traffic is restricted at school run hours
- ‘Low traffic neighbourhoods’ stop rat running through residential neighbourhoods so it’s safe for all ages to walk, cycle and play
- A safe, direct network of walking and cycling routes would give parents an alternative to driving the school run.
What are your ideas to make our streets healthier for children, and how can we work together to achieve them in Westminster?
We will soon be organising school street events so that you can find out more about how you can create one for your school. Sign up to our mailing list for notifications.